Planning a walk
- Choose areas and walk levels that are within your capabilities as a leader.
- Submit your walk details preferably via the online form on our website under For leaders or Forms to download. Use the Grading guide.
- Pre-walk the route if possible and identify hazards and assess risks. Look for good morning tea and lunch spots. If you wish to do a recce for a walk, you will be covered by Bush Club insurance if you notify the Walks Secretary by email beforehand and have a total of at least 2 Bush Club members on the walk.
- Control and manage risks.
- Try and have an alternate plan in case of unforeseen circumstances. e.g. flash flooding, track erosion, transport changes etc.
- Check latest forecast & National Park closures as close as possible to day of walk
- Consider whether appropriate to walk and cancel if necessary
- Leave comprehensive details of the walk with a reliable person including instructions on what to do if you do not return at the expected time.
- A few days prior to your walk check transport details, expected weather conditions and in summer, fire conditions, park closures etc.Walks should be altered or cancelled if conditions are unsafe.
Design by Berger Bits & Bytes Services