Bush Club Abseiling and Canyoning Policy
This policy covers all abseiling activities undertaken by members on
Club events. The policy is deliberately conservative because of the
potential for injury or death in the event of an accident and the relative
inexperience of the vast majority of members in abseiling.
Leaders will adhere to the Club’s abseiling guidelines while
conducting the activity. These guidelines are based on the Bushwalking
Requirements for a Club abseiling or canyoning activity
- The Club will only undertake abseiling activities rated 1 to 4 using
Rick Jamieson’s rating system in his book Canyons near Sydney
(4th Edition). That is the abseils will be EASY to MODERATE. This
rating system only covers abseils in canyons but it is a useful guide
for non canyon abseils.
- Participating members must be able to demonstrate to the leader
that they have abseiling experience and/or have completed at least
a basic abseil training course with a professional abseil training
organisation. Prospective members can participate in abseiling activities
provided they can satisfy the leader that they have appropriate skills
- Participants must wear protective helmets. They help protect against
falling rocks, ropes and to some degree falling water.
- Ropes used in abseiling activities require regular cleaning, inspection
and replacement. Where ropes used in the activity are supplied by
the leaders a rope levy of $5 per person will be charged to help contribute
towards replacement costs.
- The leader of the activity must have extensive abseiling experience
and/ or has completed an abseil leaders course with a professional
abseil training organisation. It is expected that a 3 day training
course would be the minimum training requirement. Leaders of abseiling
activities must be approved by the committee.
- The leader must have an assistant leader on the activity who must
also have the experience and /or training as outlined above. The assistant
leader must also be approved by the committee.
- Participants must complete the Club’s specific waiver form
for abseiling activities.
Top of page
Design by Berger Bits & Bytes Services